Saturday, July 20, 2013

On heat waves and media over-hype



The heat wave is apparently over, and thank goodness.  Not because the temperature has dropped, however.  In fact, I have actually enjoyed having a little summer-like weather for the first time this summer.

The real reason I’m thankful is that, at least for a time, we don’t have to hear the local news media – of which I am a part – screaming about how hot it is through the radio and television every five minutes. 

Don’t get me wrong – I’m a weather junkie.  I love a good storm as much as the next guy and I have always found cold fronts and Bermuda highs to be somewhat fascinating.  I’m a weather nerd.

But here’s a news flash for all my media brethren:  Temperatures in the 90s in the middle of July is NOT news.  It just isn’t. 

Significant snow storms are news (although we could all get a refresher on the meaning of significant – a dusting is not what I have in mind.)  If it was 50 degrees today, that would be news.  If it is 80 degrees in January, that is news.  Even last summer’s heat was news due to the unusually high temperatures for so long.

But last week’s “heat wave?”  That’s wasn’t news - it is what July is supposed to be.  So how is that news?

Taking it a step further, since when do people need to be told to try to stay cool and drink more water? Seriously!  I’m pretty sure my parents didn’t have air conditioning and bottled water, but somehow they survived hot summers just fine.  Are people really that dimwitted that, in addition to the survival instinct we are all created with, we just can’t think to stay cool unless Channel 7 tells us to?

It’s a sad commentary on our society and speaks largely to the nanny state that it has come to be.  Politicians and media, presuming they are smarter than the rest of us, feel like they need to remind the dumb masses to drink water when it’s hot and to put a warm coat on little Johnny when he’s going to the bus stop in January.

I, for one, won’t participate.  Yes, I will post weather warnings for severe storms, blizzards, high winds, etc.  But I won’t insult my readers with reminders to drink water when it’s hot.  I’m pretty sure they have that down already.

No comments:

Post a Comment