Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Air show fun overshadowed by tragedy

The 2013 Dayton Air Show is in the books, and this year was both a ton of fun, yet marred by tragedy.  I had the opportunity on Thursday to fly in a lead plane above Sean D. Tucker and took the above video and some great photos.  On Friday I got to fly with the Aeroshell Aerobatic team and man, what a rush!  I never knew what 4Gs were until I couldn't lift my camera up off my lap.

Unfortunately, on Saturday wing walker Jane Wicker and her pilot, Charlie Schwenker, were killed in an accident.  I wasn't there on Saturday, and I'm thankful for that, but I have to say, it changed the way I saw the show on Sunday.

Every time one of the aerobatic pilots did a maneuver that looked odd - even though it was part of their act - the thought was in the back of my head whether it was supposed to be part of the act.  Fortunately, they were, and nothing happened on Sunday, but there was definite unease.

Unfortunate as well was the gutting federal sequestration did to what is usually one of the top air shows in the nation.  It affected the quality of the show and the attendance - brutally.

The highlight for me and my family was meeting one of the Tuskegee Airmen and being able to thank him for his service to our nation.  He was an incredibly nice man, and gracious with Daniel and taking photos.  

The air show, the parade, and getting to spend Sunday with my friends at the City of Vandalia made for a great time for me and my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment